Tuesday, April 30, 2013

BLOGGING FROM A TO Z APRIL 2013 – LETTER “Z”



THE ZITHER FAIRY

The Zither Fairy is a literary conceit I created when, during some 'splainin' of how I went from A to Z myself in my life. My 2nd husband, a violist himself, whom I met during a gun-for-hire gig found that after our marriage, I did not in fact, turn into a something-other-than-a-violist. Professional jealousy, stupidity, or just plain WTF? I have no clue.


Interesting sounding; much like the cembalo, which were used by Bela Bartök and Kodály. But, I can play neither zithers or cembalos.

What happened was this, it was summer time in Michigan, a usually fallow time, where we don't play much besides weddings, or music festivals out-of-state. He was 22 years older than I, and I was pulling in more work during the summer and he seemed, well, a tad put out about it. My feelings? Who cares, the money was all coming to the same household. Then, I got hired to play with the “Moody Blues,” for 3 weeks and all hell broke loose. So, that fall, I re-enrolled in school and majored in Computer Science. Needless to say, that marriage was history. To explain the demise of it quickly and easily in writing (although, the end of a marriage is never quick and easy, there were many agonizing nights and realizations that I should never, ever have assumed being married to someone who played the same instrument would bring any similar understanding,) I invented the Zither Fairy.


She's welcome to do the laundry once in a while.

Thus, when writing about the differences that ended the marriage, I say, "Alas, The Zither Fairy neglected to come and convert me from a violist to a zither player, therefore, I went back to school and majored in computer science." The marriage flatlined, anyway. But I did earn a new career, that allowed me to practice the old one at the same time and new adventures were to be had!



5 comments:

J Lenni Dorner said...

Stopping by from your comment on the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge Z post on Facebook!
@JLenniDorner

Interesting post. A very positive way to look back at things.

ViolaFury said...

J, thanks for stopping by. The only way to look at it is positively. Having a lifetime of blunders and idiocies does make for good stories later!

Kristen said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge! I love the bit of sarcastic humor in the Zither Fairy. :)

#atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

ViolaFury said...

Kristen,

Thank you! And congratulations to you, as well. We're fellow A-to-Z'ers, now. I always love that feeling of connection, like we went through a war or something. Foxhole buddies. That, I mean seriously, but I must tell you that if I can find a way to shoe-horn in sarcasm? I'm there!

ViolaFury said...

Maggie!

Thank you so much for this honor and nomination for the Liebster Award and for reading my blog. I'm hopping over right now. This is tremendous. Thank you!